Welcome to 11th Floor Games!

We are a group of game players, game designers and game enthusiasts located in Kansai Japan. Take a look around for info on the games we're playing, making and enjoying.


Saturday, January 24, 2009

An introduction


Hi all, fellow gamers and people coming across this blog from the 'next blog' link in the blogger header bar. Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Duncan Brotherton, and I'm a member of 11th floor games. One of 4 members, actually! I'll jot down some history of the group, more so for myself than blog readers because I'm bound to forget it in the years to come. I have this feeling that the information on blogger.com will be around for centuries yet.

All four of us, used to work at the English Language School NOVA in Japan, until it's dismal collapse back in 2007. During the dying days of the company, a huge space was cleared on the 11th floor in our building, and then jam packed with all kinds of office furniture and boxes. It had all come from branches around the country that were closing. It was a nice quiet place to talk game mechanics.

Lyal Clough, Chris Stone-bush (TendrilsofKraken), Chris Fagala (Wall6ly) and myself are all gaming fans. It was ego more that anything that got us talking about our own game ideas. I felt good vibes about the ideas that came up, and I though that as a Graphic Designer, there's definately something that I could bring to these games: and maybe give them a bit of life.

While the company was around, we would hang out quite a bit, but that's all changed now. We only got together a few times last year. I personally find it hard to commit to game days because i work for myself now, but I still feel the urge to continue making progress on stuff we've done. Check out the board below: it's for a game called 'Kite Flyers' that I'm working on. I can't just get this far and then leave it.


So Fagala and I were cutting up the cards for it one Friday when I suggested we start blogging about what we're doing. We have a bulletin board setup for ideas, but it's closed. I thought that we might as well make it open, otherwise we're always going to be a closed group. Fagala set this up for us.

There's no one reading it at the moment yet, but that dosen't matter. The four of us can use it as a kind of diary of our gaming adventures. So you other three start getting into blogging mode.

And here we go. Strap yourselves in for some rough mechanics, cheesy art work and red-eye play testings.

1 comment:

Wall6ly said...

Every time I see that kite fliers board I like it even more. Playing it is like a sunny Sunday afternoon, laid-back, warm and utterly wonderful.